Thursday, October 7, 2010

I do not find your hate to be charming

"Hating" Craigslist is weird. To complain that people misrepresent and/or incorrectly value their stuff and experiences is to make an unsavory claim: you don't know what you have. (Hypocrite notice: I suppose I do this, from time to time. Please continue).

Here are my favorites from Rawiya Kameir's Thought Catalogue:

But, as if copy that looks like it was written by a 12-year-old girl weren’t bad enough, here’s the clincher: neighborhood barriers go out the window on Craigslist. I hate to go all New York-real-estate on you, but Bushwick is not Williamsburg; Red Hook is not Park Slope; Washington Heights is not the Upper West Side. The subtleties of New York neighborhoods may not apply as universally to other parts of the country, but I’m willing to bet that some serious geographic decoding is needed wherever you go.
Nice bet. Consider what is being said here: Heaven, please forbid we ever lose our neighborhood barriers — how else would I be able to employ blanket sentiment about a specific space?


And as for that huge, gorgeous loft that’s advertised at less than half of its rental value, chances are it’s actually a scam.
Yes. I have a soft spot for clever scams (what is a "scam" and what is "legit" is hilariously deemed). Scamsters too must walk before they Madoff.

For all of its wistful F-train-at-rush-hour romances and unrequited coffee-shop-on-Grand-Street love, the missed connections section is pretty sad. More often than not, the listings aren’t actual missed connections; they’re cheesy laments about lacking the guts to actually approach someone. Lame.
The words "fuck you" involuntarily surge past my lips after reading this. "People lack confidence, what fucking losers they are!"

Hint: it’s unlikely that anyone will pay you $100,000 to work as a secretary.
Thanks.

Sigh. But, as much as I hate you, Craigslist, I just can’t seem to quit you.
What would you call this line? Lame? I'm thinking lame fits (note: this line is intended to critique both the article and my own critique... clever? maybe a little?)

No comments:

Post a Comment