Monday, June 20, 2011

The Tee Vee's Pride and Joy (boast post)

One cat watching, one walking away... clever beasts


Plump months ago, I asked myself a question: "Would every single pre-20th century living-being size-you-up to be a completely worthless piece of shit?" My answer was yes. I wanted a new answer... achieving "probably" was my first target. Here we go:

chicken manor



1) Chickens. Four bawk-bawks prancing about... de-he-he-lightful. My not biological brother, wife-like partner (pictured above), and I built their shelter and run, allowing those silly birds a comfy place to put themselves to bed every night. The mysterious production of eggs does whatever it is it does. Goats are next.

2) Growing Food. For years, I lived in a place where everything that wasn't the house was ignored. It was space to pass through... rarely was it considered or enjoyed. Always background. I didn't know it.

Potatoes live in that box
That has changed. Digging the rapacious Japanese knotweed for a few months was delightful (I can see the hunter-gather amused by my absurd toil). My brother built stunning retaining walls (I was labour only on that project, this brother of mine can build a wall like a schizophrenic (I'm under the impression they're often phenomenally adept at this)). This is the first year that we've grown everything from seed. And with the broad expansion of our gardens (nearly 10x more square footage than before) we're thriving. Big ole' potato bin. Quinoa. Beans. Salad greens and veggies galore. Galore!

3) Canning. The local Goodwill stocked us well here, we have quite a nice jarring and pickling operation ready to go.

4) Tools. You need to borrow a tool? Seattle, via Craigslist, has us well-stocked. Thanks Seattle, for having way too much shit.

5) Boozin'. Dmitry Orlov, an eminently generous man who is largely responsible for getting me all ginned-up for these projects, emailed me a link to his family's vodka recipe. That's a' happenin'. And we're going to make a run at blackberry wine (something of an aperitif, good for cocktail mixin' too, I suspect)

6) I got my little bit of money out of the big banks and into a credit union.

7) All-bike-all-the-time. My body is as strong as it's ever been.

That's a lettuce bed, some strawberries in the rear
Since I am boasting, I needn't point out that I'm rather proud of what we've done. I am becoming progressively less useless.

I feel like I did some good at school too. Another list:

1) Got a lot of kids away from the awful x terrible mindless mantra that pervades public schools: You MUST Go to College! All you need (other than pointing to the obvious decay in the world of fucking jobs and an economy that is — thankfully — collapsing), is to use this one from McLuhan, it does the trick:
The past went that-a-way. When faced with a totally new situation, we tend always to attach ourselves to the objects, to the flavor of the most recent past. We look at the present through a rear view mirror. We march backwards into the future.
I'm going to college!
Luminous, isn't it? And then we can move beyond all of that college-prep nonsense. 

2) We created Poetical Dictionaries, attempting to mimic the unyielding, thorough brilliance of Lohren Green.

3) We also mimicked Raymond Queneau's Exercises in Style — the kids loved them some Doc Queneua — and their ability to find delight in the ways-of-words properly exploded (thanks to a sage, Daniel Coffeen, who did the same for me).

3-4 feet to dig out knotweed


4) Singing. Lots of singing.

5) Select passages from Derrick Jensen's The Culture of Make Believe went a long way towards enabling my students to think about racism and exploitation — certainly the single greatest sense of accomplishment I've experienced in a classroom. Listening to oft-angry black teenagers lace together coherent and complex ideas on the nature of human destructiveness brought me some serious fucking joy.

Obviously, none of this stuff is approved curriculum (I barely even know what kind of bullshit I'm supposed to be teaching them, but I'm pretty sure the end product is multiple choice tests where I attempt to discern whether they know the difference between the "a" and the "o" in the names of Iranian clerics... or some such rote, power-strucutre-privilegin' bullshit (in haiku form).

I think I'm doing alright. Combating the dynamic R.D. Laing put a finger on:
Long before a thermonuclear war can come about, we have had to lay waste our own sanity. We begin with the children. It is imperative to catch them in time. Without the most thorough and rapid brainwashing their dirty minds would see through our dirty tricks. Children are not yet fools, but we shall turn them into imbeciles like ourselves, with high I.Q.s if possible.
thankfully, my dumb phone can't capture the quality of these walls. Gotta sit on em' to know

13 comments:

  1. Sending my wife this way. Perhaps she'll share her hated of Fallopia Japonica with you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! You should be fucking proud. While most of this would have been routine or at best a minor accomplishment hundreds of years ago, it's been made so seemingly impossible since then that this is just incredible.

    We're making tiny little strides towards doing some of this stuff here--making more things rather than buying them, growing stuff, etc. Not diving in nearly as quickly as you, but on our way. Wish we could have chickens, though my parents are considering it, which would be awesome.

    And jeez--using McLuhan and Jensen as counter-propaganda for students! You're amazing! Everything else you've mentioned is now on my list--particularly RD Laing, considering that the last book I read (Joanna Russ's The Female Man) opened with an utterly amazing quote from him, and now a few days later I see another amazing one here.

    Spam word: nowurse. Seems almost appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa, nice! i'd really like to know how the quinoa turns out.

    ethan and i talked about doing that at one point, but the idea fizzled out. i think the seemingly low yield from such massive plants discouraged us.

    you've got me reconsidering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jack, I'm just in awe of the stuff... my animosity towards it (once fierce) has largely waned.

    Thanks Ethan. Projects are nice. I recommend making aggressive jumps. For instance, one Friday I proclaimed: we'll have chickens by the end of the weekend... and made it happen. I went without trying new things for far too long (however, I did get really good at things like: reading the internet, and whining like an whistling asshole). As far as farm animals go, chickens are a cinch (ours, at least, get on together really well), an easy step away from the commercial food death trap. Goats will be a leap...

    The quinoa is beautiful, and the lowish yield is offset by the greens — they are splendid (I'm to understand that quinoa greens are nearly unavailable in stores or markets), we're trying them now to get a feel for how well they might do on a larger scale. Factor in aesthetics, greens, and the taste and nutrition of the grains... lovely.

    I'll post updates as the summer dwindles away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to updates. You're an inspiration :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.

    Do I feel like a lazy, unimaginative schmuck.

    Very inspiring.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What are you planning to do with the goats? Where does the quality of life of the animals factor into all of this? I am not asking argumentatively. I am asking out of curiosity.

    My partner has suggested we raise chickens because we like eggs but don't support egg production. We have a super small backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ghostly:

    Butter and cheese, learning to care for and breed farm animals, high stakes goat racing... as for quality of life:

    The move I find myself continually making... the question that is always hanging around lately: Am I objectifying life?

    Give an animal quality food and water; space, shelter and relative safety, all while valuing that — in return — these other beings, another creature is providing us with the means to a healthy body via delicious food, and I see that as a symbiotic relationship, and although the relationship is forced, it can be grounded in reciprocity.

    One of the great failings of modern humans is a failure to recognize that the burden of responsibility in a predator/prey relationship falls solely on the predator... the one who dominates. When the predator (me) realizes that I not only "should" but must give quality care to my prey then I suspect the relationship works out okay. Indigenous people seem to always understand this (praying to the spirits of their prey... or whatever they might do), other predators of the world know it... yet human sociopaths will rape tar sands and inject radioactive waste into the whole of their environment while jamming thousands of chickens into an industrial shed — Modern Man is a bad animal.

    I'm just trying to return to a way of life that isn't completely pathological.

    What else are you going to do with that small yard?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What else are you going to do with that small yard?

    I hadn't really thought about it until I read your post. At the moment, my partner and I just tend flowers and ornamental plants. It gets practically no sun, thanks to both our own tree and the hideously high fence our neighbors -- who have I think what Mencken once called a a Libido for the Ugly -- felt they had to have several years ago. We have a very energetic dog and she complicates things also in terms of what we could grow or raise.

    Thinking it through, I think it might be prudent for me to investigate collective efforts going on in my area, like community gardens, for instance. You definitely have inspired me, though. 'Returning to a life that isn't completely pathological' is a very deft way of putting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bow in the presence of a person who works to set such examples.

    Humbler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now make it a pedagogic retreat where lost city dwellers such as myself can learn to live.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, KFO — your blog, and the directions it led/pushed me, have been quite influential in my move to the dirt.

    Coffeen, you'd start at the top: lounging, drinking, reading... maybe pick some salad greens. Soon after... chicken coop duty. And then, a welder's apprentice. "No-no-no, fuckstick... how many times do we need to go over this!" I'd yell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sign me up! (I'll admit I'm afraid of chicken coop duty.)

    ReplyDelete