Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Work forever, or get used to getting the grandkid's names wrong.

This man doesn't know his S.S. #. He's also retired. Nuff said.

If you stop working... your brain dies. Thanks Scientists. Courtesy of the NYT:

“It’s incredibly interesting and exciting,” said Laura L. Carstensen, director of the Center on Longevity at Stanford University. “It suggests that work actually provides an important component of the environment that keeps people functioning optimally.” 
On career day, my high school guidance counselor didn't say shit about this Center on Longevity. He can expect an angry phone call.

If "use it or lose it" are our options, and using "it" is appropriating roughly 60% of our waking lives towards the end of.... what is the end game here? I thought it was retirement (that's all I ever hear the older members of my work force talk about)... is it not retirement? 

Normally, I'd never encourage you to actually read the NYT articles I mock, but this one is pretty damn enjoyable. Every. Single. Quote. is funny.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. Great stuff! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I'm overjoyed to have an amused audience.

    I was hardly out of bed when I conjured this one — inspiration knows no bound, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with JRB, thanks for pointing this one out!

    And yeah, wouldn't mind losing "it"...

    ReplyDelete