Friday, August 13, 2010

School is almost back in session (I haven't even choreographed the blocking yet)

Big day today... big. While waiting for those big things to come, I've been preparing for my first-day-of-school performance. The time has come to say, is dehumanization such a bad word? That's right reader, I will be bringing to life Arthur Jensen's sermon to Howard Beale from Network (enjoy 8 minutes of mighty film-making):



My vision for the performance is not entirely settled. For instance, how do I play the scene as a one-man show? Do I dare braid Jensen's (Ned Beatty) speech with Beale's (Peter Finch) tee vee studio performance? I remain undecided. Suggestions will be welcomed.

One thing I do know, it'll be handy to get the kids acquainted with what will prove to be a familiar classroom refrain: You have meddled with the primal forces of nature Mr./Ms. (insert student surname), and I won't have it!

No matter which way I go, the kids are gonna love it, their parents are gonna love it, and I'll probably have somebody film my performance and post it on the school... wait, district website so everyone can love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment